Thursday, November 09, 2006

Hello from yet another public library,

Still haven't been able to post photos yet (the library doesn't allow uploading or downloading), but when I do, I'll have some lovely ones to show you of SF Bay, cable cars, etc., as "my" apartment on Russian Hill is just a block away from SF's "Crooked Street" (Lombard St.) and the Hyde Street cable car. Of course, you've seen pictures of them or even know SF, but it'll still be fun to post them on my blog.

Well, the Democrats have taken back the House of Representatives and when I listened to the news this morning, they had probably gained 5 seats in the Senate to be on a par with the Republicans. In addition, Rumsfield has now resigned! This is great news and most San Franciscans would agree with me. Yesterday, I took a photo of a garage in "my" neighborhood where they were voting with new voting machines. Apparently, there were some glitches with them around the country.

Not much to report today. I'm winding down from my tiring trip to Asia and slowly getting acclimated to being in the U.S. again. As I said, the view from my place is so lovely and so inviting. For the past four hours, I've been walking up and down hills enjoying the scenery and fine weather. 'Had lunch in a French-style cafe on Union Street called "la Boulange" (no, it's not a typo. It's actually called that!).

While at this library, I discovered that at the main branch tomorrow evening there's a talk and booksigning by the Iranian-born woman who wrote "Reading Lolita in Tehran", so I plan to go. We read that book in Paris a few years ago in one of my book groups.

That's all for today, folks.

3 Comments:

At November 09, 2006 8:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog, Hilary. Remember that when you get back to Paris, I'll be asking for a story for AARO.

Enjoy the trip!

John

 
At November 09, 2006 8:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog, Hilary. Remember that when you get back to Paris, I'll be asking for a story for AARO.

Enjoy the trip!

John

 
At November 09, 2006 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilary, I'm sorry I won't get to meet you on your trip here - it sounds like we are just missing in LA, SF, and Oregon. From what Gary has told me about you and what I've read on your blog, I have 2 books to recommend to you that I've just read - On Beauty by Zadie Smith (an exposition of culture set in an academic world) and Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (One women's search for everything across Italy, India and Indonesia)- perhaps you're already heard of them. Enjoy! Bonnie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home