Saturday, October 21, 2006

Hi,

Just a brief entry today. It's Saturday night, and I've just got back from a Kung-Fu cum ballet spectacle. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but it was beautifully done. The story of a monk who discovers the art of Kung Fu. Lovely costumes and scenery and great dancing and stunts.

Otherwise, today was a quiet day. I bought an even warmer anorak because it's gotten cold here in Beijing. They sky is as grey as the Paris one, and it rained, which should get rid of some of the dust on the cars and trees. It's a polluted city, it's true, but I still find it very vibrant and exciting. So much to do and see.

I had lunch today with my friends Edith and Peter and their two teenage sons. They're Franco-British expats who recently moved here from Paris and will be here several years. They live in one of those diplomatic "compounds" I'd heard so much about. Not much to look at from the outside but very protected (with a guard out front) and the apartments inside are spacious and modern. My friends treated me to lunch at a delicious restaurant in Ritan Park. There are lots of trees and embassies in that section of town. There's also an international post office. Quite imressive it was. They provide boxes and everything else you need to wrap up packages and even do it all for you. I sent a box to my son Eric --just a little something for his birthday. Sorry, Eric, it probably won't arrive in time! Sending it to you from here was an interesting experience, as was taking the Beijing subway to get to Edit and Peter's place.

Well, that's all for tonight.

Will write more tomorrow and send some photos--I promise.

Hilary

1 Comments:

At October 21, 2006 11:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chère Hilary,
Je viens pour la première fois de lire ton blog et je t'envie : profite au maximum de ton voyage .
Si tu en as la possibilité , vas à Shanghai et dans le Yunnan et aussi dans une ville comme PingYao dans le centre de la Chine .
Je te souhaite très sincèrement beaucoup de plaisir dans ce trip . Récolte plein d'infos : car moi aussi , j'ai bien l'intention de t'imiter lorsque je m'arrêterai de travailler .
Amitiés . Nadine Cardinale

 

Post a Comment

<< Home