Sunday, December 10, 2006

It's Sunday morning here in San Francisco, and it's been raining off and on for two days.But look below at the lovely rainbow I could see from my window yesterday morning! I continue to marvel at the view I have from this apartment. In fact, it sometimes keeps me from working on my translation!

Below are some photos I posted yesterday. In addition to the rainbow is a scene from Carmen, the opera I saw on Friday night. Like many serendipity things that have happened since I've been here, this was a last-minute invitation from the cousin of a dear friend of mine whose wife was sick and couldn't go. The Diego Rivera mural appears on the wall of the SF Art Institute just round the corner from "my" apartment. It was commissioned back in 1931. Apparently, there's another one at City College, which I'm going to try and hunt down.You'll also see a photo of my friend Jane (who rented me this apartment and who's back in town but staying at her son's place), her sister Sandra and her niece Arielle at Zarzuela's the other night. Zarguela's is a Spanish restaurant around the corner on Hyde Street. Our meal consisted of tapas and sangria! John and Diane are new friends here. (We have a mutual friend, Betty A. in Paris). Diane is a travel writer and John a photographer. They took me to the Christmas party of a group of women writers in San Francisco. And last night, I went with them to San Rafael to see a documentary on the life and singing of Piaf. The director and actor/singer, Raquel Britton, was up on stage afterwards and answered questions. It was very much like what we have in a Cinema d'Art et d'Essai in France. The singing was very moving, and the event great fun. Afterwards, we went to visit a friend of theirs who lives on a houseboatin the Bay in Sausalito and who's just got back from a month in Argentina, where she and her husband took tango lessons! (She gave me some interesting addresses for when I'm in Buenos Aires in February).
Which brings me to the rest of my trip....
Just for your information, I'll be leaving San Francisco (sigh...) on Dec. 19th and taking a Greyhound bus up to Medford, Oregon, where I'll be staying with a long-lost cousin whom I haven't seen in about 25 years. Then I'm going to Portland to visit from Dec. 22 to 25 with my eldest son Eric and his girlfriend Jennifer. I fly down to L.A. on the evening of Dec. 25 and will be staying there until the early morning of the 29th, when I fly to Mexico City. My friend from Chicago (Betty B.)is meeting me there, and we'll be museum-hopping and sightseeing until Jan. 7. Then it's en route to San Miguel de Allende, where I will be studying Spanish and living with a Mexican family until Feb. 4. After that, it's down to Buenos Aires! And this is when another real adventure (as in Vietnam and China) will begin. I know some of the places I'd like to visit, but am not sure my schedule is feasible or financially possible. Back to Paris from Buenos Aires on Air France on March 23.
Here's what I'd LIKE to do in South America: Buenos Aires, Iguacu Falls, Rio,Manaus (the Amazon), Santiago, Puntas Arenas (Pantagonia), and back to Buenos Aires and perhaps other places in Argentina.
If anyone reading this posting has some suggestions or advice, I'd be welcome to receive your comments. Thanks.
That's all for now, folks...

2 Comments:

At December 12, 2006 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Hilary - Can I give you someone to look up in San Miguel? I can send Betse's contact info to your email account. I think you'd like to meet her since she's a long-time San Miguel resident.

I know we discussed S. America before but don't know whether you've got some of my favorite places on your itinerary: Valparaiso (I don't like Santiago but love Valpo) & the Lakes District between Chile & Argentina. You can fly to Puerto Montt, Chile & take a series of boats/coaches across the lakes into San Carlos de Bariloche, Argentina. I didn't make it to Punta Arenas because of the weather; the weather from Puerto Montt on southward is very windy & rainy year 'round and a plane had blown off the runway in Punta Arenas. Also, the Gaelic community south of Buenos Aires and Los Pyramides wildlife refuse are very interesting.
Merry Christmas, maura

 
At December 18, 2006 3:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilary,

This is Laurie Lauterbach - we met last year in Paris - I am in NY right now but going to Paris for most of January 2007. I hope you get this note. If you want a lovely and different experience in Argentina and you are going south from Buenos Aires to Patagonia try to go the Glacial National Park of Argentina. You fly to Califate. The Glacier is called Perito Moreno and if I am not mistaken is the only glacier in the Western Hemisphere that you can walk to (rather than be dropped by helicopter). Check out the following website www.losnotros.com for the hotel that is located in the park and is unbelievable! They will organize tours and expeditions for you including walking with "grampons" on the glacier. (I believe all included in the hotel cost.) The hotel is delightful with the most amazing eclectic menu I have ever seen.

I was there in early April 2003 and it was starting to get into fall. And then of course you should stop at Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego - which is called The End of the World and it feels like it. Flights go from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia stop in Califate on the way south or the way back north so it is very easy to combine the two visits.

If you have any further questions let me know.

My best wishes for the continuing trip!

Laurie

laurielauterbach@yahoo.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home