Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Hello Everyone,
Below are some photos from my weekend, and here's a little background to make them come to life:
I went over to Berkeley on Friday by BART (the SF metro that goes across the Bay) and had lunch on Solano Avenue with Jacqueline(a French friend) and her husband Ramos from Santa Rosa.(Sorry the photo is so dark, Jacqueline). Then I had coffee at Starbucks across from the campus entrance with Meredith. Meredith and her husband have started to do what I may want to do someday--live part of the year in France and part of the year in the SF Bay Area. That evening, Penny and I attended something really fun: a "sing along" to the film "Grease" in the Castro district of the City. What a riot! Everyone in the theater was given a "party bag" with props to wear or use during the show. Notice the specs and (false) cigarettes! It was all very funky, and the streetcar ride (from, and later back to, North Beach) to get to that part of town added to the "funkiness" of the evening. The driver actually asked me to extinguish my cigarette when I got on the tram! (This will probably make most of you laugh since you know I've never smoked a cigarette in my life and am really quite "anti" tobacco!)Then on Saturday, Jane and I drove down to Carmel to see her son "Beeper" perform in two musical shows at the Playhouse there. Beeper really sings and acts well, and it was fun spending time with him before and after the shows. Returning to the City, Jane and I bought a Christmas tree for her (formerly "my") apartment, and then we attended a Christmas party at the home of Angele and her husband. I'm now spending my last two nights in the City with my friend Candy at her lovely home. As I may have mentioned before, Jane, Angele and Candy are all friends from grammar school with whom I've remained in touch over the years.
I'm leaving tomorrow evening--by Greyhound bus--for Oregon. Even though I'm looking forward to new adventures "on the road", be it in Oregon, Mexico or South America (the next legs of my journey), I'm very sad to leave. Like Paris, SF has been my home at various times in my life, and my five weeks here have been wonderful!It's a beautiful city, and I've felt at home here.
Since this is the last blog posting I'll be writing from San Francisco, now is the time to extend all my thanks to the many people (old friends and new) who have been so kind and generous to me while I've been here. I can't thank you enough for the invitations and outings, the warm hospitality, the meals, the various objects you've lent me (from a warm jacket to a computer to a public library card), etc., etc. MERCI MILLE FOIS for everything!!!

Hilary

1 Comments:

At December 19, 2006 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How lucky you were to spend those days in California.
I wish you just as much luck for your trip to Latin America.
Enjoy and (try to) be good.
Bises,
Bernard

 

Post a Comment

<< Home