Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Hello,

I want to entitle this posting "sick in Shanghai". I've been sick since yesterday evening (vomiting, "tourista", etc.). It was probably something I ate yesterday for lunch in a stall in the Shanghai metro station/Raffles Center, or maybe it's just the fatigue and stress of the trip.

Yes, the Three Gorges cruise on the Chinese ship was really tiring for me--getting up at 5 or 6 each day, the crowds and noise on the boat, etc.--as was the 4 hour bus strip to Wuhan and then getting up at 6 the next morning to get to the airport. All of this backpacker traveling is beginning to take its toll. In fact, I'm looking forward to being in California again at the end of the week. And if ever I come back to China, next time I'll try to sightsee here in a more "comfortable" way, including taking the western boat!

I haven't seen much of shanghai yet, but ifI'm better, I plan to do some sightseeing tomorrow and Thursday before flying up to Beijing to catch my flight to LA on Friday via Seoul. Friday is going to be a long day!

However, I did visit the Shanghai Museum yesterday, and in the evening I was treated to a drink and dinner on the "Bund" by a very nice French expat whom I met on the plane from Wuhan. Unfortunately, though, that was when I started feeling sick and had to rush back to the hotel!

That's all for now folks. Am going back to the hotel to rest and have some tea. Hope to write more tomorrow or the next day.

Thanks so much, Marco, for posting the photos for me. I somehow can't seem to do it here.

Hilary

3 Comments:

At October 31, 2006 6:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poooor mama!! take good care of yourself!!
XXXX
Marco

 
At October 31, 2006 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there Hilary, as Marco said take good care of yourself! We're thinking of you as you make your way around the world and we try to put Panache to bed without you! amities, Sandra

 
At November 01, 2006 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

However sick you may be, don't look forward to coming back to Europe. Winter is now falling on us with a vengeance, and white bears have been seen roaming in the 15th arrondissement...
Please, extend my best wishes to California -- and vote well next Tuesday.
Bises,
Bernard

 

Post a Comment

<< Home